Monday, June 18, 2012

Summer Eating

It seems I have settled into the lazy days of summer. Lazy being the operative word. I have searched for and found new things that I want to do in my classroom this year. However, I haven't quite got the "umph" to actually create yet. I want to participate in the wonderful "Make it Monday" linky party. But maybe next Monday! Ha.

Here is what have been doing. I have revamped my eating habits. During the school year, I tend to run in survival mode and make unhealthy food choices. I was gaining weight, achy all the time, and had incredible mood swings. I'm not blaming all of this on food, but it was a place to start. So, on the first day of summer break, I cleaned out my pantry, fridge, and freezer. I am NOT on a diet. I am making lifestyle changes. I've cut out sodas, processed foods, prepackaged foods and fast foods. My fridge & freezer now contain organic produce, dairy and grass fed, hormone & antibiotic free food choices.  Today starts the 4th week since I've made the change. The most difficult thing has been the higher cost for the hormone, antibiotic free meat. It is very expensive in the stores. But I have researched and found some cheaper alternatives. Whenever I have a slight panic attack over the food bill, I remind myself that in the long run, this is cheaper. Because I am no longer buying sodas, junk food and eating out. I have been keeping busy by making my own breads, granola and freezing fresh berries and vegetables.  I have also started walking in the evenings for exercise.  Over all, I do feel better.  Most of my pains are gone. Again, was it the food?? I don't know. But I don't want to ever go back to the old way of eating. I want to live a long life and be able to see my grandchildren (when I have them) grow up. 


 Here are some pictures of just a few things I now make homemade. Above, whole wheat blueberry muffins. These can be frozen. I usually make a big batch and freeze them. I just pull out one whenever I have a hankering for something sweet. :) Below is my homemade granola. It is so good. I will never buy store bought granola again!
As for the upcoming school year, I do hope to finally start making some new things. So hopefully my next post will show case some of my internet finds. :)

1 comment: