Thursday, June 6, 2013

Collecting and Returning Homework

Joy in the Journey is having a linky party. What do you do with that pile of homework you assigned? I taught 4th grade the last 6 years. Here is what I did.




I have a tray in the front of the classroom for homework collection. When the students come in, they place their homework in the tray. They are to put their name, student number, and subject heading on all of their papers. My teacher's helper will sort the papers and put them in number order for me.



The picture above shows the homework tray.  After the homework is sorted, it is checked. I do this two ways. Sometimes, I pass it back to the students and we check it as a class. The rest of the time, I take out my fun, colorful felt tip pens and check it myself. :-)



When it is time to pass it back, I, or my teacher's helper,  put it in their mail slots. I LOVE this pocket chart organizer! It has made my life so much easier.

And that is how I checked  4th grade homework.
Next year I will be teaching first grade. I will probably do something similar. I need to put some thought in to it. :)

Oh, one other thing. At the beginning of the school year, I send home a copy of my homework policy to the parents. They and their child sign and return it to me.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tonya,

    Thanks for linking up and sharing your ideas. I teach first and collect homework similarly. You can stop by my blog or the others who linked up for some more ideas for firsties.

    I'm sure you will love first grade!

    Have a great night!

    Becky
    Compassionate Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tonya,
    Just found your blog through the linky. I'm a new follower.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tonya,

    I love how bright and colorful your classroom is - so cute!

    I am a pocket-chart-lover as well :) They are so practical and useful. Whenever I see them on sale, I stock up on a bunch.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete